Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Laundry Room Update

If you have been following along, you may remember some "goals" for the year that I posted here. One of my house goals was to work on the laundry room: organize, clean and paint! The first step in this process was my DIY Striped Bulletin Board that I posted here, which I am still loving. Well I am proud to say that we are continuing on our little laundry room makeover and have a few more updates. After I saw this image on pinterest, I knew what direction I wanted to go.


To me, this is clean, fresh and just what I was looking for. Too bad my laundry room is about an 1/8 of that size! I would love that folding table and cute little stool to perch on. But I loved the light and airy look, so I did a little research on popular grey paint colors. I bought some paint samples (seen here) and decided on gray owl by Benjamin Moore. I can't tell you how much I love this color in the laundry room! It made the biggest difference in brightening this space and keeping it fresh. Before I show you what it looks like now, here is a pretty little pic of our mess.


Yea, not so pretty. We had way too much clutter going on, too many different baskets/containers to even begin to look organized. After some heavy duty cleaning and throwing away junk, painting and pulling some odds and ends from around the house, this is what our room looks like today! 


 Do you like!?! Oh my, it gets me so excited every time I pass through this room.






I did buy just a few things for this update. I found the canvas at TJ Maxx and loved it. I like seeing some inspiration every morning and it's the perfect message (especially while I am doing laundry, right?)...the baskets came from Pier 1 on sale and I love the texture they add. We moved the white plastic containers to the garage where they will be great inside a cabinet. The boxwood, dried hydrangea and moss balls were all things I had and just added in there for a touch of green. 



The only thing I still am contemplating is those darn wire shelves. So not pretty. We have a call in to our builder to get a price quote on some white cabinets to be installed, so we will go from there. Cabinets would really clean up the look and have more storage. I know I can use those baskets for organization and hang the canvas if we decide to go the cabinet route. What do you think? 
Would love to hear your thoughts! Happy Wednesday! xo.

22 comments:

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

WOW Katie it looks fab! Very clean, calm, and refreshing- just like the inspiration pic. Beautiful job!

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! That looks fantastic!!

lauren | keys to anywhere said...

wow, so pretty! i absolutely love grey shades for walls, it can look so chic!

Shannon Marie said...

What an upgrade! This looks so great. Even if the white shelves tay for a while the rest of your display looks amazing- I'd want to spend more time doing laundry! ha! xo

Ashley {styleash} said...

I think it is amazing! You did such a beautiful job!

Sarah said...

Whoa! This looks great! I love all crisp and airy it feels! I like white shelves would look great but aren't a total necessity!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Your laundry room looks perfect!! Hello you have given me major motivation to vamp my boring room up!

Hilliary Meisner said...

Your laundry room looks great! I love the quote you have up in there! And that inspiration from pinterest, I would love to have a laundry room like that some day!

Ashlee @ They Lived Happily Ever After... said...

Um, this organization is amaze. That is all.:)

navy and orange said...

Your update is amazing! Love the top shelf and fun basket to disguise the necessities for the room.

xoxo navy & orange

Kate @ Daffodils said...

oo so pretty! You could always make a little fabric 'skirt' to hang from the shelves and hide the wire.

And no, I havent even started messing with my template yet. THe days just slip by me sometimes! But I swear I am going to give it a go this afternoon!

Unknown said...

Your laundry room is amazing!! It's so so pretty!

Amanda said...

Come decorate my house?! Maybe you could cover the wire shelves with like a dark grey fabric? That would be an easy fix.

pam {simple details} said...

Great job, Katie! Love the clean fresh feel, and I don't think the the wire shelving looks bad at all!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

Wow girl! You did SUCH a good job! I love it! I painted my room grey and found it to be so crisp just like yours. GOOD JOB and when I move can you come decorate mine. :)

alicia said...

it looks gorgeous!

Stephanie @ Blonde Highlights said...

THAT LOOKS SO AMAZING! DANG GIRL! I wish my laundry room looked that good... or heck even my bedroom! It looks great! You should be super proud of your decorating skills!

Mae B said...

what a gorgeous makeover! never thought I could love a laundry room this much!
well done!
I'm your newest follower, cute blog!
xx

Carly Haslee said...

Katie! You did such a great job-I would smile too if I passed that room every day. I really don't mind the wire shelves right now, but white cabinets would be pretty fabulous! Amazing love!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh this is SO cute! I love the greenery and LOVE that quote..what a great reminder :-)

Isn't renovating the best?! I really do just love the clean fresh colors too!

xoxo
Aarean

colorissue.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

You did such a great job!! Sooo you'll come help me decorate my new place?? :)

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

Wow, it's amazing how just a few small touches can really change a room. It's looks so calm and fresh:)My laundry room is in the unfinished, scary dungeon part of the basement LOL there is no sprucing that up w/ out a major overhaul..LO