Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dinner Favorites of the Week

I have a few recipes that I want to share that I think anyone will really enjoy! These two recipes share the same fresh vegetables, so when I decided to make quinoa burgers I immediately thought of this yummy app I saw on pinterest last week. First of all, I absolutely love appetizers-they are my favorite part of a meal. This one is delicious and healthy, and has the husband stamp of approval. I made ours bite size with a small heart cookie cutter.  
HUMMUS AND AVOCADO TOASTS WITH ROASTED TOMATOES
 6-8 slices of bread [gluten-free, whole wheat, etc.] 
1/2 cup hummus [store bought or homemade]
 1 avocado – halved, pitted and peeled
 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, cores and seeds removed
 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
salt + pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Arrange the tomatoes on your baking sheet, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to caramelize
4.While the tomatoes roast, toast your bread. Using a cookie cutter or circular object, cut out 1-2 circles per toast, depending on how big the piece of bread is.
5. Spread ½-1 tablespoon of hummus on each circular toast.6. In a bowl or plate, mash avocado with a fork, leaving large chunks.
7. Layer the mashed avocado over hummus, season with salt + pepper.
8. Top with a roasted [or fresh] tomato. Serve immediately.

And for the next recipe....

This was the second time I made these quinoa burgers, and they were actually requested by the husband himself. He did see the quinoa in its uncooked form and asked "What is that??" He had not seen it before and it is rather surprising to see it for the first time!
QUINOA BURGERS

INGREDIENTS:
2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
3 eggs
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 green onions, including white parts
1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Olive oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:

To cook quinoa:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt

-In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
-In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.
-Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.


A few tips: the recipe suggested a sauce to top the burger by combining a little ketchup and mayonnase. I also used zuchinni, not carrots. I topped ours with fresh tomato and avocado.

If you haven't tried quinoa yet, you should consider trying these! They are really tasty and incredibly filling, and of course packed with protein and fiber. Do you all have a tasty quinoa recipe we should try? Please share! Happy Wednesday! xo.

13 comments:

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Mmm anything with hummus and avocado is definitely a winner with me! I haven't tried quinoa yet, but I've been wanting to. This might be a great recipe to start with. thanks!

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

Those burgers look amazing. Will def be making them this week! Have you tried the Broccoli Quinoa Casserole? Its on Pinterest and so good! Happy to find your blog! xoxo

Shannon Marie said...

Ah those recipes sounds wonderful! I just need a little more time in my day so I can experiment and try them! :) Thanks for the kitchen inspiration! xo

eas said...

Okay I am so trying this recipe. Love Quinoa & always looking for a new recipe to give it more flavor. Thanks!

Amanda said...

Mmmm quinoa burgersss! I might have to make those tomorrow ;)

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

This looks so yummy! As a vegetarian, I am always looking for new healthy recipes full of flavor. I will def have to try this one.

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Sarah said...

um, yummy! those look delicious! waaaaaant now :) when are you free?

Hilliary Meisner said...

Hummus and avocado is a wonderful combination! Both of these recipes look delicious! I have been wanting to try quinoa meatballs that I saw on pinterst!

Thanks for sharing, I hope you are having a wonderful week!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

mm these both look awesome. I might make those apps tonight!

henning love said...

yum! these look delicious katie. i still need to try quinoa and this recipe looks perfect! i love how you used a cookie cutter

Ashley said...

These both look SO good!! I love that you used a heart shaped cookie cutter for the first one :)

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

YUM! These look absolutely delicious and I can't wait to try them!

Orel Cohen said...

Wowww,Look great!!!<<3
Invited to my blog:)