Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Guest Post: Hilliary from Happily Ever Healthy

Hey Miss Dixie Readers!  I am Hilliary from Happily Ever Healthy, the lifestyle blog about cooking, healthy living and the odds and ins that make me, well me!  I was tickled pink when Katie asked if I would like to share a recipe with you all while she is away in Atlanta!  Of course I jumped at the opportunity!  I love reading Katie’s blog everyday because of her upbeat personality, fabulous stories, and inspiration for all things girly! 

With Valentines day coming up next month, I thought I would share a recipe that is sure to show that special someone just how much you care.  Because we all know the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!  That’s how I won my boyfriend over!  I am not talking about a decadent dessert (but I have one of those for you too).  I am talking about elegant light crepes stuffed with strawberries (or any fruit for that matter) drizzled in milk chocolate, topped with a light dusting of powdered sugar and luscious whip cream if you so desire!
And yes on Valentines day I think it is perfectly acceptable to eat chocolate for breakfast! 

What I love about crepes is their wow factor and ingredients list. You probably already have everything you need in your pantry.  Which means more time with your special someone and less time running to the store for a long list of ingredients!  So lets begin!

What you will need for your crepes is as followed:
Crepes
Makes 16 good size Crepes
 1 1/4 Cup Flour 
1/2 Cup Sugar 
3 Eggs
 1 Cup Milk 
2 Tablespoons Butter Melted
Pinch of Salt (Very Little Bit)
Powdered Sugar for Dusting
Chocolate for Drizzling: I suggest this recipe
Whip Cream if you desire
Small Skillet
Cooking Spray

Now for the fillings this is the fun part!  Be creative with your flavor combinations. There is no right or wrong way to dress these crepes up!  Pick fillings you know your special someone will love!  Here are some suggestions:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Bananas
Jelly: Any Flavor
Peanut Butter
Nutella
Trader Joes Cookie Butter- Haven't tried this?  It is addicting, taste just like a cookie!
I usually stick with fresh berries, especially when the tops are drizzled in melty chocolate!
So now that we have gone over all the ingredients, lets begin preparing this special brunch!
Start by mixing your sugar, flour and salt together in a large bowl (all the dry ingredients)
Then in a separate bowl combine your melted butter, milk and eggs.  Whisk them together really well!  
Now add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and stir well to combine everything.  You want a smooth batter, no lumps!

Spray your skillet (I used an electric griddle this time) with non stick cooking spray and heat it over med-high heat.  
When the skillet is nice and hot pour in 1/4 cup batter, swivel the pan around a bit to ensure a nice thin crepe.  By doing this you will also get an even thickness to your crepe!  Your crepes are ready to flip when tiny bubbles form on the surface of the crepe, and the edges start to curl a bit.
Continue in this manner till your batter is gone, respraying the pan as you see fit!  Don't get frustrated, I usually mess up my first 2 or 4 crepes!  

Helpful tip: Crepes can stick together easily.  I recommend putting a layer of wax paper in-between each crepe  after they are done cooking.  This will insure that no crepe gets stuck together!

It is fun to set out the toppings like a ice cream sunday bar, only this would be a crepe filling and topping bar!  However if you prefer to make a pretty presentation for that someone special go right ahead!  This past weekend when I made them I simply set out an array of toppings and let everyone fill their own!
Bon Apetite!  Enjoy because these Crepes truly are a little treat for breakfast!
Oh and just one last thing before I go!  If you want a festive dessert sure to please any sweet tooth why not try these red velvet cupcakes!
Thanks again Katie for allowing me to guest post! Have a fabulous Wednesday Everyone!


Thank you so much for sharing that mouth watering treat with us Hilliary!! I had never thought to make crepes before for Valentine's Day but I'm thinking I will have to make these once the hubby sees this. If you haven't checked out Hilliary's blog make sure you stop by and say hello! Thanks again for the sweet treat!
xoxo. 

8 comments:

Hilliary Meisner said...

Thank you again Katie for asking me to do this! Hope everything in Atlanta is going well!

Shannon Marie said...

Even though I'm not too savvy in the kitchen, I KNOW I could make some of these delicious recipes to surprise the bf! :) Thanks for this post!

Shannon Marie said...

Even though I'm not too savvy in the kitchen, I KNOW I could make some of these delicious recipes to surprise the bf! :) Thanks for this post!

Sarah said...

These look fabulous! And a perfect way to start Valentines Day!

Amanda said...

Wow! This looks amazing and delicious! What a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day! So glad Hiliary guest posted this!

henning love said...

crepes are delicious. i love strawberries and nutella and of course whipped cream in them! yum!

Meggan said...

what a perfect recipe! so great for valentine's day!

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

Such a yummy looking recipe!!! Perfect for sharing with someone you love :)