Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Newest Lunch Obsession


I am always on the lookout for a new lunch that is healthy, filling and something quick that we can fix on our break. We tend to go through phases of favorite lunches we can't get enough of. Last month it was peanut butter and jelly on a toasted bagel thin, we've gone through many a different sandwiches and even had a cereal kick at one point. I had some extra time last week and made a ton of these wraps for the freezer. I love a good vegetarian lunch with plenty of flavor, and in this case lots of veggies!



Adapted from MAKE AHEAD LUNCH WRAPS

2 cups brown rice {I used Uncle Bens Ready Rice}
4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
16 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese {I used 1/2 pound of pepperjack and 1/2 pound of mexican cheese because that's what I had. It turned out fine!}

1. Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
2. Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander, and rinse. Add drained corn and drained diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.
3. Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic bags and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks.


Cutting the wraps in half and freezing individually makes it the perfect meal for Stephen or I to grab if we are together at lunch or not. I reheat for about 1.5-2 minutes in the microwave. Perfect lunch is ready in minutes! I also have been snacking on these Jalapeno Jack Pretzel Crisps- you must try them if you have not already!

What is your latest lunch obsession? 
Enjoy! xo.

Linking up to Tasty Tuesdays as well! 

10 comments:

Carolina Charm said...

Do they get soggy? I am having a really hard time finding wraps to make-ahead for lunch that aren't mushy by the time I eat them!

eas said...

Those look so good and I love the idea of freezing them ahead!

Cotton said...

looks so tasty!!

Nat said...

OK I need to start to doing this- I can never come up with good easy lunches!

Mrs. Type A said...

Those look great! I get on lunch kicks too and have been eating two of the same trader joe's lunches each week for a while now. Time to mix it up!

TheTinyHeart said...

Yum! That looks delicious. Just pinned the recipe :)

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Courtney said...

They look so good, great idea to freeze a bunch! I love those Jalapeno Pretzel crips and also the Chipotle cheddar ones, yum!

pam {simple details} said...

Those would be great to have on hand for kiddos and all their friends!

April of Smidge Of This said...

I am obsessssssed with the Jalapeno Jack pretzel chips. So incredibly yummy. For lunch, I really love making wraps filled with refried black beans and either hummus or avocado. Oh my word, it's the best!

Brandy Bruce said...

Yum! Those sound fantastic!