Monday, September 10, 2012

How We Found Out + More

First of all, thank you so much for your sweet comments last week on our big news! This community is so kind and I just have to say I love my readers and appreciate each and every comment you left us! 

Stephen and I decided several months ago that we would welcome that next step into our lives with open arms, but we didn't actively seek out trying to make it happen right away. With that being said, I wasn't expecting any big news for months to come. I told Stephen a Thursday night after work in July I wanted to take a test...just out of precaution. I felt normal and didn't believe that I could be preggo but wanted to be sure of that. I am always anxious over anticipation, so I took the test and had him go look at it a few minutes later. After he walked in the bathroom I heard him say "woo hoo hoo!!" which I knew only meant one thing :) To be honest, I could not believe how quickly things happened! I was so shocked and surprised, but so happy at the same time. That's the best I can do to describe an indescribable feeling that I had that night!


We were going to Raleigh for the weekend and knew we couldn't hide that news from our families very long. It took everything in me not to pick up the phone and call my Mom that Thursday night, but I wanted it to be a fun surprise not just an unexpected phone call. We told my parents Saturday afternoon with an NCSU onesie and they were so surprised and so happy for us. Their reactions were as cute as can be. I will never forget, and I know they will never forget as well! After we returned home Sunday evening we did the same thing and shared with Stephen's parents. Lesson learned: For someone who confides in her Mom and Dad with most major life happenings, we had not discussed our decisions with our parents to start a family only because, well...we had just decided this ourselves and got started! When I told my parents they were sitting down, which was a good thing :)


We also told our brothers and sisters right after our first doctor appointment. This is how I surprised my little sister with the news...


Stephen's dresser has taken on some new decor to house our little reminders of a baby on the way. After I had been out of town, I came home to the ultrasound pictures up where we see them every day. Since then, the stash of little gifts has grown a bit!



So we found out pretty early and are now approaching 13 weeks with a due date of March 21st 2013! The last two months have had their ups and downs but nothing too bad. July went by pretty smoothly but August brought on some discomforts. Morning sickness wasn't a major problem if I ate something as soon as I got up. I switched from my usual morning coffee to hot tea- easier on the stomach and lots less caffeine! {Doctors have told me small amounts of caffeine a day are fine! Thank goodness!} The last several weeks have brought many headaches which have really been draining, but I am hoping for them to pass by soon. 

{Stephen at our first appointment at 7 weeks!}

Other than that, we are just over the moon with excitement. Every waking thought I have seems to revolve around the baby, which keeps me going when I am in bed in the morning struggling to pull myself out :) Seeing Stephen be so patient {like, really patient}, thoughtful, kind and excited about our baby makes this experience special already. I know he is going to be such an amazing Dad which I cannot wait to see! Being able to finally share the news has been like a tremendous weight lifted off of our shoulders. It was much harder than I imagined waiting 12 weeks to share the news!


Thanks for reading the beginning of our baby story so far! I had so much fun sharing it with you all! 
xoxo.

17 comments:

Carolina Charm said...

i LOVE how you told each family member in a special way. So excited for you two!

A room with a view said...

Congratulations! So very exciting - enjoy each and every moment of this special time. I hope you are keeping well.

KatiePerk said...

So sweet! I had headaches in the beginning too. They got better as time went on. I increased my water intake to help try to ease them. Worth a shot!!! So excited for you!

The Pink Growl said...

awww so sweet! I missed the big news last week so CONGRATS!!!

Amanda English said...

Love it! I don't think I'd tell my family much either until we knew the news! Hope your headaches subside soon! xoxo

megan said...

Loved hearing how you found out and how you told your families! Gives me goosebumps to think about how excited yall are! :)

pam {simple details} said...

I can imagine everyone is beyond thrilled for the excitment of a new baby to join the family! I'm sure pictures of your baby bump are coming soon, hint hint! :)

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

I can imagine your thoughts when you heard Stephen yell "whoo hoo hoo!" Congrats, again! I'm so excited for you!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

congrats katie - this is so exciting!

Mrs. Type A said...

Can't wait to hear about your journey into parenthood! :)

Laura said...

It all sounds so exciting!

Laura xo

April of Smidge Of This said...

So, so special. I like all of the little accessories that the nightstand is accumulating. :) What an exciting time for ya'll and your parents!

Pris said...

Congratulations!!! So very exciting!!

Nat said...

What a sweet story and such a great surprise! I bet your parents are so excited!

Hilliary Meisner said...

Congrats on the wonderful news! Very sweet story!

la petite fashionista said...

congrats!!! so so exciting :) can't wait to see you track your pregnancy on the blog!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you guys! You are going to be the cutest, most fashionable mom!