Thursday, April 27, 2017

One Room Challenge: Week Four Blue and White Dining Room

Welcome back for week four of the One Room Challenge! How are we already at Week Four? It is officially time to freak out! I am making over our dining room in a fresh blue and white design...if you want to catch up, see the links below!

Week One- Plan
Week Two - Drapes and Paint Swatches
Week Three - Painted Room and DIY Chandelier Update

If you are new here, I'm Katie and I am a wife, mother of two, living on the coast of North Carolina. We bought our current home in October, did some initial upgrades, moved into the house December. I am really just catching my breath from the move. We might never move again :) Our house is a two story white colonial, black shutters, timeless design and layout. We are settled in pretty well but none of the house is "done" if you know what I mean. Everything is kind of 50% there...we still have a stack of pictures in our living room waiting to be hung, hardly any drapes hanging on the walls, and little projects in each room to be completed. I chose the dining room because it has taken on it's own little path of actually getting somewhere and I want to go ahead and cross this one off the list. If you know me, you are familiar with my love for mixing traditional and modern design, touches of vintage/antiques, fresh flowers, and a healthy dose of blue and white.

To get us all on the same page, here is the punch list:

-Caulk and paint trim (a doozie...dentil moulding) in progress
-New window shades (these are terrible mini blinds)
-Hang new drapes!
-Paint walls 
-Paint nightstand-ish piece of furniture
-Update chandelier
-Fix the table/lamp/art situation- in progress
-Flank china cabinet with mirrors?
-Remove door to room

So this big accomplishments this week were that we finished painting the walls and are making good progress on the trim. I promise you I am more tired of talking about painting than you are probably hearing about it. So. over. it. Anyway, painting the trim really sucks the fun out of my day so I'm doing it little by little. But, y'all...it looks so amazing painted!!! It is like a brand new room.

We were out of town last weekend and then I unexpectedly had to make a day trip back to Raleigh on Tuesday to say goodbye to a family dog (thank you for all your kind messages on insta!) and I really didn't think I would have much to update on.....Then I had really, really, good luck at a consignment shop yesterday and found some really cool pieces for accessorizing!! First up, I want your opinion on this bird art. It's an original and I think it is SO cool and really amazing for the room. I know art is so personal so you may think it is hideous. In the right room, I think it is pretty fabulous. I search high and low for original artwork at thrifts, estate sales, antique shops, you name it. I love originals!! I plan on doing something to the frame as well to make it a little more modern. Also, the little swan planter was a find at an antique store in Florida. I'm obsessed...


I also found a pair of these pink ginger jars for $30! I have been wanting a pop of pink to tie back to the shades of our rug and also our Tobacco Leaf dishes. They do have a vintage rose painted on one side but I plan on facing that toward the wall. Also, a new plant stand. I have been envisioning a fresh plant in this room. 



The best find for the week is a new console to replace the one seen above with the bird art.  I am so excited. Big thanks to Winston's Collections for getting this baby painted and to me in time for the big reveal. I cannot wait!! I plan on using this console as a bar, and of course for lots of great storage.



Why oh why did I order a sample of this beautiful hollyhock fabric?! It is stunning. I just don't know that it is ideal for covering dining room chairs with the potential for stains. You should see our kitchen buffalo check covers- they are absolutely awful! Recovering the chairs was not in my original plan but I would like to incorporate another fabric somehow.


This situation is getting worked on this week: painting the bachelors chest and mirror white, and gold leafing the wine rack. I bought this wine rack when we got married with a gift card. It is a little rustic but I hate to let it go. I think the gold touch will be perfect!


So, I think we are getting somewhere finally. I would like to find a lamp for the bar as well. I tend to like modern shapes and solid colors for lamps, so that is what I am after.

So- LOTS to do this week. Wish me luck and send good vibes for finding the accessories, fabric, lamps that I need to pull this room together!!!

Catch up with the linkers here and featured designers here!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie, I love the thrill of the hunt and you SCORED! Love all your pieces! I have a major blue and white crush, and I'm swooning already over your soon to be new blue and white dinning room! Excited to see it on the big reveal day! Let's do this! XOXO, Sarah

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Katie you've had some amazing finds for this room! I love, love that Hollyhock fabric too. I used a non-toxic stain repellant spray on my upholstered dining chair seats and they have done so well with occasional spills. Maybe something like that would make your fabric dreams come true! Can't wait to see more next week, you have a beautiful style!

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

Unknown said...

Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when i was was tempted to try it. i and my wife have been having a lot of problem living together, she will always not make me happy because she have fallen in love with another man outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my wife leave this woman but the more i talk to her the more she makes me fell sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because she no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my wife again. this spell caster who was a man told me that my wife is really under a great spell that she have been charm by some magic, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my wife and after 5 days my wife changed completely she even apologize with the way she treated me that she was not her self, i really thank this man his name is Dr ose he have bring back my wife back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email is oseremenspelltemple @ gmail . com  he is a man and his  great. wish you good time.
He cast spells for different purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dream
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) HIV/AIDS CURE
(10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery

Contact him today on oseremenspelltemple @ gmail . com