Thursday, April 6, 2017

One Room Challenge: Blue and White Dining Room

I've been waffling back and forth on this idea for weeks and finally decided this morning I was going to give it a go! If you aren't familiar with the One Room Challenge, its a brilliant idea, started by Calling It Home, to transform a room in six weeks. Six weeks may seem like a long time but it sure does fly by. It's quite a challenge and this will be my fifth one! 

To see my previous rooms click here:  Baby Girl Nursery // Hall Bathroom // Living Room // Den 

If you are new here, I'm Katie and I am a wife, mother of two, living on the coast of North Carolina. We bought our current home in October, did some initial upgrades, moved into the house December. I am really just catching my breath from the move. We might never move again :) Our house is a two story white colonial, black shutters, timeless design and layout. We are settled in pretty well but none of the house is "done" if you know what I mean. Everything is kind of 50% there...we still have a stack of pictures in our living room waiting to be hung, hardly any drapes hanging on the walls, and little projects in each room to be completed. I am choosing the dining room because it has taken on it's own little path of actually getting somewhere and I want to go ahead and cross this one off the list. If you know me, you are familiar with my love for mixing traditional and modern design, touches of vintage/antiques, fresh flowers, and a healthy dose of blue and white.

I wanted to be completely transparent and show y'all what the dining room really looks like when I am in the middle of a project. I have drapes waiting to be hung, the hardware strewn across the table, and a good amount of clutter. I love the large size of the dining room table because it is so great for a make do work space! (By the way, we traded out our old dining room table with my parents for their new beach house. It was theirs when they got married and it really fits well in the new house. So we now have their old dining room table from the beach house. Not sure it will be permanent but I have actually grown to like it quite a bit!)


I love our china cabinet with the blue and white collection on the top. 


This nightstand-ish table and mirror landed in here and I actually really like it in here. I use it to store extra linens and keep an extra stash of diapers and wipes in there if I don't feel like running back upstairs. It needs a coat of paint and I'm not sure what color yet.



We put this white table in here about a month ago because I needed something on this wall. The lamps are not staying and the art will move too. I would rather have a narrower piece here because space is a little tight with the chair.


Ok let's talk about the brass chandelier....is it bad that I really don't mind it? I mean, I think it is pretty even though it is so old school. Initially I said it had to go, but now I'm not sure. What do you think?



Overall, I want this to be a "fun" dining room. Like most people, we hardly use it! Since I'm not in here all the time, I want to layer on the pattern and color. My drapes are blue leopard, by the way!  Here is some inspiration I found, some rooms that I have long adored:






The project list:

-Caulk and paint trim (a doozie...dentil moulding)
-New window shades (these are terrible mini blinds)
-Hang new drapes!
-Paint walls (I'm thinking an icy blue OR a stencil. Is stenciling still in??)
-Paint nightstand-ish piece of furniture
-Decide on chandelier
-Fix the table/lamp/art situation
-Flank china cabinet with mirrors?
-Remove door to room

So, not terrible but I certainly have plenty to do. This week the plan is to get the drapes up and decide on the walls...I would love to do a paper but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. We have a garage addition that is about to happen and paint vs. wallpaper definitely seems like the smartest option. Any thoughts on these stencils? I would love your input! These are from Royal Design Studio:
 




Thank you so much for reading despite my terrible photos of this drab room! I can't wait to see everyone else working alongside of me during this season's One Room Challenge!


6 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Katie your plan sounds wonderful! I love that last bamboo stencil so much but whatever you do I'm sure it will be fabulous. I love how you pull a room together! Looking forward to seeing more next week!

Homespun by Laura said...

I love blue and white - our kitchen is blue and white - so this project really caught my eye. I look forward to following along! Also, you're not crazy regarding the chandelier. I've had the same thought process about the one in our dining room, which is very similar, and I've decided it's not worth buying a new one! :-)

Leigh said...

You're blue and white caught my attention too! So funny, I actually just replaced an awful dark and heavy feeling dining room chandelier with this same one I found in the attic from the prior owners! I'm sure it was the original one to the house, but in my opinion much better than their replacement! I'm excited to see what you do!

East Coast Chic {Natalie} said...

Can't wait to see what you do!! You always do such a good job on these, love the blue and white!

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

Unknown said...

Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when i was was tempted to try it. i and my wife have been having a lot of problem living together, she will always not make me happy because she have fallen in love with another man outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my wife leave this woman but the more i talk to her the more she makes me fell sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because she no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my wife again. this spell caster who was a man told me that my wife is really under a great spell that she have been charm by some magic, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my wife and after 5 days my wife changed completely she even apologize with the way she treated me that she was not her self, i really thank this man his name is Dr ose he have bring back my wife back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email is oseremenspelltemple @ gmail . com  he is a man and his  great. wish you good time.
He cast spells for different purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dream
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) HIV/AIDS CURE
(10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery

Contact him today on oseremenspelltemple @ gmail . com