Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chair Recover!

Over Labor Day Weekend, my Mom and I hit up a thrift store in Raleigh that I had never gone to before. Since it was Labor Day Weekend, they had a sale with everything in the store being half off. Of course this gave me the mission to find something to buy! Didn't find too much and we were almost ready to leave, and then I found this diamond in the rough.

Oh, it was gross. Priced at $26, and half off she came home with me for only $13. Stephen loved that this chair got to ride with us all the way back to the beach! I'm not even sure what decade that fabric was acceptable in. Anyway, I had been itching to make a sad, homeless chair pretty and try my hand at nailhead trim. 

I found this fabric online and I immediatley knew it was the right direction for my little chair. 


First things first though, I stripped the chair of it's old fabric and found this to be what was underneath all of that foam and fabric. I think the chair breathed a sigh of relief to get rid of all of that junk as well. It already looks better!


I have covered many a seat cushions before but I had not done any "seat backs" so far. For the seat cushion, I wrapped a fresh piece of batting over the existing cushion to freshen it up, and attached fabric with a staple gun. Using a combination of tutorials from Centsational Girl, I came up my process of recovering the front and back of the chair and applying nailhead trim (love that stuff!). I ended up hot gluing the fabric to a cardboard template and then attaching that piece to the front and back side of the chair. After it was in place, I attached nailhead trim with a rubber mallet. Centsational Girl has a TON of amazing tutorials for furniture re-do projects, amongst many other things and I love her blog.

Here is my new chair in all her glory! (still looking for the perfect spot in the house)


I lightly sanded, primed with a Valspar primer spraypaint,  and then gave it a few even coats of Rustoleum's "Heirloom White". After it was dry, I also lightly sanded along the edges to give a slightly antiqued look, as you can see below. To finish, I used a wipe on poly finish that was super easy.


Here is the back of the chair...


One more time, before and after! 




I highly reccomend Centsational Girl's library of info on all of her furniture re-do's! I am so excited and happy with my chair that ended up being a great bargain and fun new piece for the house! Now, I'm off to find some other item to add some nailhead trim to!

I also linked this up to
Sunday Showcase Party
Lots of great finds here!! Enjoy!

No comments: