Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Black Bean Quesadillas

I think everyone is well aware that I love Mexican food, and a few weeks ago I was in the mood for a new variation on what seems to be our weekly fix. These are healthy, tasty and were so good that I made them again last night! This recipe originally came from Cooks Illustrated, so you know it is good stuff. We only had to pick up a few things for these, making them easy on the wallet. Don't get discouraged by the many steps- they are quick and easy.



Servings: 2 folded 8-inch quesadillas

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing the tortillas
1/3 cup minced red onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/3 cup black beans (canned)
2 teaspoons lime juice
Kosher salt
2 plain tortillas, 8-inch
2/3 cup Pepper Jack cheese, in pieces or shredded

INSTRUCTIONS

 -Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 2 minutes.
-Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until kernels begin to brown and pop, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer corn to medium bowl.
-Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering; add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
-Add garlic and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes; stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
-Return corn to skillet and toss to combine; gently press mixture with spatula to lightly crush black beans.
-Transfer mixture to now-empty bowl, stir in lime juice, and season to taste with salt.
-Wipe out the skillet with paper towels and return pan to medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes.
-Place 1 tortilla in skillet and toast until soft and puffed slightly at edges, about 2 minutes.
- Flip tortilla and toast until puffed and slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
-Slip tortilla onto cutting board.
-Repeat to toast second tortilla while assembling first quesadilla.
-Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese, half the corn and bean mixture over half of tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border around edge. Fold tortilla in half and press to flatten. Brush surface generously with oil, sprinkle lightly with salt, and set aside.
-Repeat to form second quesadilla.
-Place both quesadillas in skillet, oiled sides down; cook over medium heat until crisp and well browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Brush surfaces with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
-Flip quesadillas and cook until second sides are crisp and browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
-Transfer quesadillas to cutting board; cool about 3 minutes, halve each quesadilla, and serve.
-------
And a tip from me, I buy the Birds Eye Steamfresh frozen corn that comes as four small separate frozen packs, perfect for a quick side dish or a recipe that calls for a small amount like this. If there's more than two of you, definitely double the recipe- it makes exactly two quesadillas.
Tried any new recipes lately? This one is a definite keeper- I love it when that happens!
Happy Tuesday, xo.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

This looks delicious! I may just have to try it!

Sarah said...

I love me some mexican food too! Seriously, I could eat that stuff everyday....

Those quesedillas look super delicious! I'm trying to debate on making my own cinco de mayo deliciousness or going out. Maybe I'll do both....haha

thanks for sharing :)

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

Oh my! Sounds delicious!!! Me and the hubby love Quesadillas! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds (and looks) fantastic!!!

Laura said...

Yum I could definitely go for of these right now!

Laura xo

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

These sound delicious. I can't wait to try them out!

Nicole said...

This is on my Pinterest Board! Now I definitely need to try. Glad to hear they are easy to make...starving just looking at that picture!

viv said...

I may be making these tonight! YUM!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I love quesadillas and they're usually a fast meal to make--I'll have to try these!!

PS- I've added you to my "Blogs I LOVE" section...I'm so happy I stumbled up your blog!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

mmm love it!