Friday, February 1, 2013

Velveeta Black Eyed Pea Dip

I made this dip New Years Day as I desperately scrambled to incorporate black eyed peas into our meal after travelling all day. We were impressed. Although no meat, this dip can easily stand up against all the other sausage/hamburger/etc varieties of dip out there. Especially if every other dish has a meat in it, this is a great vegetarian alternative. Could be a great option for Superbowl Weekend! 
Stephen loved it so it is man approved!

I wasn't trying to be a food photographer, but he happened to stick his hand in the picture here. Haha.


VELVEETA BLACK EYED PEA DIP
{slightly adapted from Recipe Girl}

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
16 ounces Mexican-style Velveeta (I used regular)
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded, ribs removed & diced
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 green onions, chopped

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden brown. Turn heat to low, add the cheese and stir until melted. Add peppers, black eyed peas, chilies, salt, garlic and green onion. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

2. Pour into a crock pot and serve hot with tortilla chips. {I didn't want to pull out the crock pot for a small dip for just the two of us so we just had ours in a regular serving bowl. It worked out fine. If I was bringing to a party I would bring something to keep it warm}

******

We had a ton of this leftover and reheated it several days to snack on.

I'm not totally sure what I will make for the Superbowl, I kind of want to try something new. What are your favorite recipes for the big game?

Happy Weekend!

7 comments:

Dana Frieling said...

Sounds super yummy! Great twist on a classic.

Lobster Meets Peach said...

My kiddos love blacked-eyed peas so we will have to try this! Thanks for sharing!!!

Courtney said...

Wow, that's an impressive picture!! My husband would love this (loves anything with Velveeta), I"ll have to add it to the list of things to try:)

Ashley Barnhill said...

Such a unique dip! I must try this. Happy Friday! :)

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I was going to make a Skinny Buffalo Chix Dip for this Sunday's big game, but my friend actually just emailed me asking for more dip recipes so I'm going to forward her this one.

Enjoy your weekend!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

Anything with velveeta is yummy in my book! I'm currently reading blogs while ham and cheese roll ups are cooking for tonight!

JeffreyEdwards said...

Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Panel Blinds Online