Monday, April 21, 2014

New Home Tour

Thank you all so much, so much for your sweet comments on our big move! It is so exciting for us, but it makes me even more excited when readers are excited for us as well. It means a lot, so thank you! As promised, I am here to deliver a home tour! Everyone agreed to do the full thing first and then update room by room, so thank you for your input on that! I really hope y'all are just as excited about the new digs after seeing the tour- I promise we are not cray-cray. There is ample work to do but this house has great bones. My favorite features are the crown molding throughout and lots of wood paneling that will all be painted white. One thing to mention- this bad boy had popcorn ceilings and those are being removed as we speak. There was no question about it. So here we go!

KITCHEN
The kitchen is an L-shaped heavily wooded, needing some loving kinda kitchen. It is actually a fairly nice size, with a pantry {not shown} and space for a dinette over a bay window {not shown}. Immediate plans include painting the cabinets, painting the tile, replacing the dishwasher and refrigerator, new lighting, countertops and new hardware. I should also mention that the floors are being replaced to hickory hardwoods throughout the entire house, with the exception of the bedrooms.


Here is a close up of the tile. I mean really? Were the decorative tiles necessary? I would love to eventually switch over to subways like my current kitchen, but I'm willing to paint for the time being. The sink is a nice porcelain with a filtered water dispenser as well. We will switch out the faucet also.


Here is a closeup of the cabinets. The uppers are original {1973} and the lowers are actually new, furniture quality Kraftmaids. I am torn on painting the lowers but I know that it I will be happier with them painted. Also note, the makeshift under cabinet lighting. That will be replaced as well. The previous owner loved tinkering with electrical things as we have learned! 


DINING ROOM

Off the kitchen is the dining room {picture is from different perspective}. It is a great size, larger than our current dining room. Tucker is standing where the kitchen leads to. Across from him is one window. New lighting and wood floors are on the list here.


LIVING ROOM 

Here we are standing in the dining room looking across the living room and entryway. Lets talk about the sunken living room floor. At first I wasn't too hyped about it, but I'm starting to really like it. In fact, we have had several neighbors tell us how much they love our house, just because the sunken living room! We have plans to either beef up the railings by adding columns to the ceiling or even create a more divided space with walls. It is semi important on the to-do list right now. 


Let's discuss my love for the dental molding on the fireplace. Ok. Love it!


ENTRY 

Here we are looking at the front door and entryway. For now, the slate floor is staying. 


DEN 

On the backside of the house is the den. Possibly my favorite room! You can enter the den through the kitchen or through the entryway {as seen above}. I am obsessed with many things here. The exposed brick wall {to be painted white}, the ceiling beams, the paneling and built ins {to be painted white}, and the general coziness of the room. I mean, I cannot wait to see this room come together! 


This is taken from the opposite perspective. You can see into the kitchen through the doorway.


There is a fireplace with a wood burning unit attached right now. The owners originally wanted to take that and we happily agreed, but that fell through. So now we have a fireplace insert that will be sold really soon.


UPSTAIRS 

The only room upstairs is a space we will be using for desk space for each of us, and probably a daybed or pull out sofa for extra sleeping room. I cannot wait to refinish the stairs! There are hardwoods underneath the fancy carpet {ha} and I think we will paint them and attach a runner. All wood paneling will be painted.


First rule of thumb when buying an old house- rip out the carpets and check to see if you have hardwoods hiding underneath! No such luck here. We did find some really awesome linoleum straight out of 1973. This upstairs room will be newly carpeted. 


There are two alcoves that Stephen and I will each get to house our respective belongings with a desk, shelving etc. 

 


BEDROOMS

This will be used as a guest bedroom. Awesome, large room that previously held a king sized bed. Plans include painting and new carpet.


Here is my little man's room with the best view in the house! He can see the water from his window and I love that. It is also bigger than his current room. Plans include painting and new carpet.


MASTER

Our room is also larger than our current with two windows, walk in closet and adjoining bath. Plans include paint and new carpet.


The bathroom is definitely in need of updating. I have some fun ideas in mind, but they will probably be later on in the updating process. There is also a nice size linen closet that currently holds the washer and dryer.



The decorative tile makes another appearance. Can't wait to paint over that.


GUEST BATH

The other bathroom needs lots of updating as well. We will probably start small with your basic fixtures and paint, but I want this bathroom to be amazing! 


How about these gold fixtures? They just dont make them like that anymore! 



Lots of storage in a floor to ceiling cabinet unit.


MUDROOM 

The last room is the mudroom! This is off the back entry and words cannot describe how excited I am about this room. Since there is not enough room for a washer/dryer right now, we are planning to extend into an exterior storage room for just enough space for the washer and dryer to go. Right now the room has a wagon wheel light, more wood cabinets and a storage closet. Cannot wait to fix her up!!



We would be lying if we said we weren't over the moon for our new yard. Complete with live oak trees {with a swing!!} and so much mature landscaping. Gardeners paradise. 



We have already started adding our personal touch {tons of hydrangeas!} and started the yard cleanup. There is also a rock pond as seen below.


While we do not have a garage, we do have a carport and a shed. I've already been pinning away on ideas to fix up the shed. 



Whew! That was a long one. Thanks for bearing with me if you made it to the end! 
 I hope you enjoyed and can't wait to begin showing you some updates already! 

22 comments:

Alisha said...

I can't wait to see the progress and how you make the home your own!

KatiePerk said...

That is wonderful! Congratulations again. I love your ideas thus far. How exciting!!

E said...

I've never commented before, but I have to ask.... I am so intrigued about the concept of "PAINTING" tile.... how??? And you mentioned painting the tile in the shower.... is this possible?! I am actually looking to sell our current home and we are rocking some not so sexy tile that I have alwyas hated but never wanted to put money into fixing..... and I'm thinking maybe it would be worth painting before we try to sell!

Elise @ Her Heart and Home said...

LOVE IT! I can feel the visions dancing in your head!! The den is to die for...(white) brick and exposed beams?!?!?! AMAZING!! Sooo excited for y'all! xx

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it all come together! So excited for you!

kate said...

Thanks for the tour! I love looking through houses. Can't wait to see how everything comes along! And I'm in love with your yard and gorgeous trees!!!

Sarah O said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see how everything turns out. Have you every painted tile before? I didn't know that was possible.

Mallory said...

So happy for your sweet family!!! Dying to follow along with the makeover...but really can I just live in that beautiful backyard??? Congrats :)

Zelle B. said...

Love this! Can't wait to see all the things you do with your new home!
xo

Madeline {elle + j} said...

I can't wait to see all the progress!! We also bought an older house a couple of years ago and have loved fixing it up and making it our own. so much fun!

Dana Frieling said...

Congratulations! Amazing bones to work your magic, Katie. Paint alone is going to take it to a whole other level!

Carolina Charm said...

PERFECT BONES! And you don't have to tear down ANY walls! I cannot wait for y'all to move in and make this house your home! Congratulations friend!

Ashley Brickner said...

CONGRATS!!! So mcu potential there, I know you will make it perfect! XO

wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

Samma said...

It is going to be awesome! I'm a huge fan of older homes that need a touch of updating- that way you can put your own personality into it.

Delta Daisies said...

It looks wonderful!!!!!!

JMO said...

Oh girl this will be so fun! Now you guys are in the same renovation boat as we are haha I adore that dining room! Cannot wait to see it come together! Congrats!

Molly said...

Katie - it's awesome! Can't wait to see all the changes! I'm curious about this "painting tile!" Can you do a tutorial? I'd love to know which paint to pick.

Nat said...

Congrats!! Love love love the new house! I've been having so much fun updating ours and I know you will too!

In the Pink said...

This is so exciting! So happy for you guys! And I love that you have Kraftmaid cabinets...their headquarters are a few towns over from where my parents live.

Chelsea said...

I love it! It has so much character!I cant wait to see how your changes make it look!

pam {simple details} said...

I finally had a chance to popover and take the tour! I'm so excited for you Katie and if I lived anywhere close I'd be at your door with my bucket of paint to help out! :) It will be totally transformed with white paint!! Such nice sized room and your lot is incredible. I can't believe how much you've done already! Can't wait to watch it all unfold! :)

Laura said...

Aha, what a useful stuff has been depicted here on this beautifully shaped page. I was fantastically excited diving through your new home adventure. It's amazing! All the decoration were very excellent. It seems the living, dining, bath, guest rooms and also windows and doors are glaring with their own beauties and brightness. It's really wonderful experience I love to admit.