Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quilted With Love

The most anticipated nursery item finally has arrived! I am so in love with this Dresden Quilt, handmade by my Mom, customized to a capital T for our little man. 


Over the last several years, my Mom has been quilting as a hobby in her spare time. Most recently she made a baby quilt for my new niece, and wanted to make one for Weeks as well. I knew I wanted a Dresden Quilt ever since seeing Ten June's nursery. I love the vintage design, and the way it incorporates some whimsy and all the colors to tie the room together. I'm not sure how many hours went into the hand stitching that goes around each dresden, the stitching around each circle, and the binding that was sewn by hand. She has been working on it for months!


To start, every single piece of fabric was hand picked by my Mom and I. It was a fun morning in the fabric shop sorting through tons of bolts and pieces of fabric, envisioning what would be his future quilt. Lots and lots of time went into the way it all got laid out, and down to how it would be quilted. I think she did an amazing job putting it all together!



My very favorite part is the hand stitching! I know a major part of quilts is the quilting itself, but I'm in love with the hand stitches.


One thing is for sure, I know Weeks is going to spend a lot of time with this blanket. It will be something he has forever. I can just picture him now having tummy time! I can hardly, hardly wait.


If you by chance are in the market for a quilt like this, I can certainly put you in touch with the designer. Not to brag, but my Mom worked on this as a labor of love. She loved putting it together and I think it really shows. It has tied the room together so well and I couldn't be happier with the handmade choice!

Hope you love it as much as I do! Thanks Mom :)

xoxo.

14 comments:

Dana Frieling said...

Oh, Katie, what a treasure! It's adorable. Good job, mom. ;)

Unknown said...

This is such a treasure, something he will keep forever. Your nursery is looking adorable! Hope all is well...best of luck for an easy delivery!
xo N ancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Unknown said...

oh, I'm just in love! it is the cutest quilt I have ever seen!

Mrs. Type A said...

Beautiful!

agalandherdog said...

Wow! That is amazing and so, so special!

eas said...

Wow it is really beautiful! I love what you all picked out. He will treasure that always.

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

I can only imagine how much time went into this quilt....it's perfect!! You should totally frame a picture of your little guy using his new quilt and give it to your mom. What a treasure!!

Miss Southern Prep said...

What a beautiful quilt! And I love that your mom made it--that makes it even more special!

pam {simple details} said...

Oh my gosh, Katie ~ it's incredible, I can only imagine how special it is to you. Not to mention what a beautiful statement piece it will be in the nursery! Mom's are the BEST!

Alex Gladwin said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! What a talent she has!
It's honestly just so lovely and something you can treasure for always.

Alex
Bump to Baby

Nicole {Appalachian Charm} said...

Your mom did an amazing job! The colors are beautiful and it looks great in the room. I love to collect old quilts and really admire and love the time and talent that someone put into it.

Wendy Annabeth said...

So cool! I heart your blog :) I'm a new GFC follower!

Unknown said...

How beautiful... I wish I was half as talented! Congratulations on the pregnancy, babies are such a blessing

Unknown said...

Hello, I would love to make a quilt like this for my greatgranddaughter. It is really beautiful!
I know it's been awhie but if your mom would give me the measurements and requirements
I would greatly appreciate it. She can send me a message on Facebook or send me an e-mail
to jbredroc@earthlink.net.
Thank you so much. Barbara Corder