Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Summer Reading Recap

Somehow. Someway. I managed to read two books that I really loved this summer. When I look back at the summer it seams like it absolutely flew by. But in the thick of it, I squeezed in some books! I am not your reader that will read book after book, and think they are all good. I have to be tempted to read a book by word of mouth and then I have to really get into it. I also mostly prefer light reading- think something you would want to read on vacation. That's my kind of reading. I am usually pretty slow but these books I flew through. My older sister thinks its hilarious because I used to be a total bookworm when I was little. We would go to the library in the summer and I would literally check out 20 books, the max amount they allowed! Anyway, here are my two summer reads!


First up, Beautiful Day. This book is so intriguing about a young woman who is getting married and follows directions from the notebook of her beloved late Mother to plan her wedding. It turns out that a lot doesn't go as planned according to the notebook. Everyone seems to have some sort of relationship drama which keeps it interesting. Loved it and and had me interested until the very end to see how everyone would leave the wedding weekend.


A Hundred Summers caught my my surprise how much I enjoyed it. It takes place back in the 30's and jumps between when the two main characters fell in love and then several years later, as they are living separate lives. Most of the book keeps you waiting to see what went wrong with two people that were so in love. There is also a friendship that intertwines through all of that. I love that these people take vacations at their "summer homes" and stay all summer. Isn't that the way to do it? Ha! It paints such a good picture of the way life was back then and I absolutely loved it!

Now I really am not good at doing book reviews so I apologize for the brief descriptions, but I am sharing a tid bit about these because I highly recommend them. I am now reading another book by Elin Hilderbrand and am hooked on that one too. What was your favorite summer read?

6 comments:

Brett said...

thanks for sharing this! I feel like I never have time to read, but really I could make the time. I definitely want to check out the first one! I have a flight coming up so I might just buy it on my iPad!

Brett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatiePerk said...

I have 100 Summers on my bedside table right now. Can't wait to start it. I like most of Elin Hildebrand's books. They always make me want to go to the beach.

Courtney said...

I love Elin Hilderbrand's books - I always wish I could be one of those "beach house" people. Plus her descriptions of Nantucket are so perfect, right down to the details of the airlines that fly there!

Nat said...

I just started Beautiful Day this week- I can't wait to get more into it and see what happens

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I will have to check these out! I read a ton, but have been in a bit of a book rut lately!