Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nursery DIY: Closet Dividers

After Christmas I was absolutely itching to make something for our baby boy's nursery. With lots of new clothes and gifts and gear, I wanted to add in a touch of something personal...from his mommy! 

After seeing how the clothes blend all together, I decided I needed some sort of divider to help me keep track of what he has and what he needs. Trust me, it gets confusing. I also think these will come in handy in the future when I ask the hubs to grab a onesie...he will be able to know exactly what section to go to! 

What I used:
-Scrapbook paper (2 sheets)
-Closet Dividers
-Martha Stewart Felt Stickers
-Mod Podge
-Paintbrush, Pencil, Scissors
-Sheet of white paper to trace


These are the closet dividers I found at The Container Store: .99 each. I bought eight because I wasn't sure how many sizes I would go up to. For reference, I used the following sizes:
Newborn, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, 12-18 months, 18-24 months and 2T.


It's really simple, just trace the inside of your divider onto a sheet of white paper. Cut out and use as your pattern on your scrapbook paper. I loved the blue gingham I found at Michaels...I'm majorly into gingham right now.


I used mod podge on the backs of the cut outs and placed them correctly onto the divider. I covered both sides so I needed 16 total, which fit on 2 sheets of scrapbook paper.



Next, for your labels. You could buy something fancy at the store to make for your label, but I opted for the free version: print my own. On the other side, I stuck an elephant on from the Martha Stewart stickers {they were on sale at Michaels}.

Side One:


Side Two:


He's starting to accumulate a wardrobe! Baby shopping is SO addictive!


And since I was in the closet, let me show you a few favorites!


These are a few of his very first gifts from some very special people:




My goal is to keep his things very organized...next up, the dresser!
Hope you enjoyed it! xo.

9 comments:

Laurie @ Stylin Savanna said...

Thanks for posting this! I was looking at just purchasing dividers but making them is much more personal..:) LOVE the wardrobe;) hehe

Unknown said...

you did a great job!

& i love seeing his precious clothes!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I made closet dividers for our little man too and it's been a life saver. No sorting through or guessing where things should go.

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

This is really cute, and inexpensive! Elephants are my fave!!

Lisa said...

So cute! Great tutorial and super cheap! Pinning this for future reference :) Thanks for sharing!

pam {simple details} said...

They're perfect and the gingham, such a great choice. Love those sweet little outfits, I bet they smell good, too! :)

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I'm a huge fan of gingham too and love the little elephants!

erica said...

Such a cute idea! I will definitely pass along to my friend who is pregnant! xx

Carolina Charm said...

YES! I found this post! I knew I'd need it someday. :)

Making these ASAP for Caroline's closet. Thanks for the tut! xo