Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Our Christmas

Hi everyone! How are you?! I feel like it has been ages since I last posted, but at the same time the past five days flew by for me. It was a whirlwind of a weekend, followed by several more days of fun and here I am exhausted on the couch, but very happy. We started off the weekend celebrating Christmas with my husband's family, and continued on to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family. Stay tuned until the end though, because I received an email tonight that sums up Christmas better than I can.
Presents at our house
Dixie in the midst of a wrapping paper and ribbon tornado
Christmas carols with friends and family on Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve
Mom and I
The men of the family- my parents have a new fireplace addition to their screened porch and it is almost complete, we enjoyed time out here all weekend!
A little electric train drove Dixie crazy-she was in awe of it! 
My mom's sugar cookies
 

My two boys on Christmas
A peppermint cocktail
Tug of war with new toys



My sisters divine dessert!

And here is the email I received tonight from my Dad to recap our Christmas:

Dear Family,

As I sit here tonight thinking about the whirlwind of activity that is a big family gathering, and look at the empty house that was so full of life just a few days ago, I remember the love...the fellowship...the meals...the dogs...the laughter...the gift giving...the sharing of time and space...the warmth...the smiles...I get all choked up with the realization that what was so planned and prepared for is all over now.

And now comes the sad part of the Christmas holidays...the part where we put all the Christmas stuff away and get back to regular life. And I'm really sad to do that. In spite of all the stress and the work that goes into Christmas, the happy memories make it all worthwhile and they remain with us. On balance, it is a good deal. I'll take the sadness of it all being over, if I can keep the richness of the happy memories. And I have them...written on my heart. And I suspect you do too.

Thanks for being part of those memories. I'm proud and happy to call you all family.

Love

Dad

Yes, I am crying. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones and I can't wait to catch up! Thanks for reading 'til the end. xo.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

That email brought to TEARS to my eyes. What a wonderful and thoughtful email to send! Looks and sounds like a love-filled holiday for you, Katie!

KatiePerk said...

Such a sweet email! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Hilliary Meisner said...

The email from your dad brought me to tears just now! That is so sweet of him, he seems like a wonderful man! Your holiday looks lovely! I hope your week has been going well, almost time to ring in a New Year! Enjoy the last few days of 2011!

henning love said...

wow what a wonderful email Katie! definitely gets the tears rolling. your dogs are so cute! and i love your grey top, and you are gorgeous too!

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

What a wonderful letter from your dad, super sweet!! It looks like you had an eventful and fun holiday. Love the tree with all of the presents around it. So much fun!

★ JASMINE ★ said...

Awww... what a beautiful post! Very sweet!

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!

xoxox


http://barbie-bombshell.blogspot.com

Allison said...

That is the sweetest letter ever. How thoughtful and kind of your dad to put all of these thoughts into words. I completely understand how he feels, because it is exactly how I feel at the end of the holidays.

Your pictures are beautiful!

xo, Seldon said...

Love this post, lady! And the letter from your Dad also brought tears to my eyes. So glad you all had such a wonderful holiday. xo

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Such a sweet note from your dad! Love all the pics from your celebrations, looks just perfect. happy New year- I am so glad we 'met' this year!!

birdie to be said...

Oh my goodness!!! I have a puggle too! Buckley! Dixie is a doll.

I am your newest follower! :)

eas said...

I just found your blog this morning and have fun reading. Your father's note is very heartwarming. Love the shirt you're wearing in your Christmas card-I got it this year also and have been enjoying it.