Monday, May 5, 2014

Design Idea: Wood Framed Windows






Before we completely paint everything white in the new house, I stopped myself short of a few windows. I vaguely remembered seeing an inspiration photo with a dark wood frame window that added so much character to the room. I'm considering leaving parts of this window and casing the natural oak. What are your thoughts? I think it looks pretty fabulous in the above photos.

 before priming walls and paneling...


after priming walls and paneling...


Sorry for the poor lighting. I'm definitely not hauling the good camera over to the house right now with all the dust and paint everywhere. As you can see, the actual windows themselves are new and white, so it won't be quite the same as the inspiration photos. So the options are 1. Paint all of the window casing and trim white 2. Leave natural as seen in second photo 3. Paint window casing white and leave interior wood. 

There are also two windows in the adjoining den that could be done in the same manner.

Weigh in on your thoughts!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

leave it all natural wood! -it looks fabulous!!

Amber said...

I haven't been a fan of the wood window trim I have seen lately, but I can tell you after seeing these photos that it's because they didn't do it right ;). This looks great with the white contrast in the wall. I say leave the natural wood. I can't wait to see the house finished!

Nat said...

I really like them left natural! I suggest leaving them like this and living with it for awhile to see if you like it. If you hate it at least painting trim is too awful!

Unknown said...

I love your inspiration photos. You need some natural wood in every room, so give it a shot!

Unknown said...

What paint colors have you decided touse? Can't wait to see it all done. :)

JMO said...

We have a lot of wood trim, molding, framing in the house and my initial thought as well was to paint it! But it does look great left alone! Can't wait to see more! xoxo

Gramspearls said...

I agree with Nat. If you are unsure, leave the wood as is, and see how it looks when the rest of the room is painted. You can always go back and paint the windows. The only issue will be the white 'new window' inside the wood trim. You'll have to see how that looks and if you like it. Details, details, they can drive you crazy!
You've made such progress. I always say I'm on a 'five year plan' when we move into a new house! Great work.

Warmly, Kathleen

Nancy said...

Fantastic project your uplifted here for us. I think no home lover can ignore the beauties of the room. The ideas of wood frame windows you revealed was totally incomparable. Literally I like your beautiful job. This was absolutely handsome read and experience. Anyway, for replacing the door or window in the Whitby region windows and doors Whitby might be a reliable source.