Friday, July 13, 2012

Road trips, Cake and House Boats


Morning friends! I am all sorts of scattered today as the kitchen is a disaster post birthday celebrations, clothes are waiting in the dryer (only the third time I've restarted it) and washer, and we haven't packed our bags for another wedding weekend in Raleigh. In case you missed it, I was just on this same road trip on Tuesday. An added bonus, Stephen and I both have to drive {keeping the gas industry alive} since my car needs to be worked on in Raleigh next week! Sigh...no pinning while hubby drives this time around! 


I had to share this labor of love birthday cake that I made for Stephen. I made it last year as well and he requested it again, so I think we are working on a tradition. It was in Martha Stewarts magazine last summer and I have to say it is delicious. Nothing is better than a cold slice of cake on a hot summer day, and add in chocolate chip cookies = perfect.


I break this cake down into a three day process. 
Day 1: Bake 8 dozen cookies
Day 2: Assemble the cake and let it sit overnight in the fridge
Day 3: Add whipped topping and chocolate shavings and serve! 

Ingredients
4 cups cold heavy cream
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon whiskey (optional)
8 dozen chocolate chip cookies (2 1/4 inches, baked until crisp)
Chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions
Whisk 3 cups cream and the mascarpone in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whiskey. Whisk until medium-stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use (or up to 3 hours).
Arrange 9 cookies in a circle (with cookies touching) on a cake stand or a plate. Place 2 cookies in center. Carefully spread 1 cup cream mixture evenly over cookies, leaving a slight border. Repeat to form 7 more layers, ending with cookies (you'll have a few cookies left over). Refrigerate, lightly draped with plastic wrap, overnight.
Whisk remaining cup cream until soft peaks form. Spread over top of cake just before serving. Garnish with chocolate shavings.

Here are a few shots of the cake along the way...sorry for the horribly embarrassing bad photos!




YUM!

Lastly, I am thrilled because I rented a house boat for Sunday night {part of the birthday present} and we get to stretch our weekend a little longer! We will be staying on an island and watching the sunset {perhaps a sunrise as well} and living it up house boat style! 


What do you have planned? Y'all have a great weekend! xoxo.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake is so incredible!!! Was it as good as it looks? I'd be so worried that it would fall apart when I cut it!

Mrs. Type A said...

Sounds fun! Have a great weekend! Also, the cake looks sooo delish!

Sarah O said...

That cake looks amazing! How so you eat it though? Can you cut into it or do you pull it apart?

Laura said...

Wow the cake is amazing! Have a fabulous weekend :) xo

Hilary said...

That cake is genius! So cute. Thanks for sharing!!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Happy birthday to your hubby! What a good wife you are- that cake looks delish! Have fun this weekend lady!

Casey said...

Oh. My. Word. That cake will be making an appearance at the very next event in our house. Or this weekend. A weekend counts as an event, right?

Amanda said...

Sounds like you have an amazing weekend cut out for you! Have a great time and happy belated birthday to your hubby!

pam {simple details} said...

Oh my goodness, what a treat! The cake and boat! :)

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

Ooooh my!! That cake looks delicious, I may have to make it soon!!

Take lots of pics this weekend, the houseboat will be so fun!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

What a fun surpise to get a houseboat!

Janna Renee said...

I was already jealous from your post on Sarah's blog, but now I'm super jealous! A house boat sounds fabulous, and I'll take a piece of that cake too ;)

eas said...

A houseboat and that cake? What a lucky guy!