Monday, July 9, 2012

Heatwave Happenings


Goodness gracious it has been HOT here in the South ladies. Have you had the glorious heatwave as well? I haven't seriously styled my hair in almost a week. My husband had to sit under the ceiling fan and then take an ice cold shower Saturday afternoon because I'm pretty sure he almost had a heat stroke {stubborn men}. I went for a walk a few days ago and spent the entire afternoon drinking an unprecedented amount of water infused with Propel. I'm so over it. I love the summer, but honestly 100+ isn't cutting it anymore. This left me with no option but to find some things to do inside, which in reality were things that really needed to happen.

Among ironing duvet covers and pillow cases {sigh}, vacumning and sweeping sweating on the porch...I managed to accomplish a few things worth mentioning. On a TJ Maxx jaunt, I found a set of watercolors on clearance just screaming for me. Of course, I bought them. Inspired by summertime, I played around with some coral watercolors.


I framed the tiny watercolor print in an inexpensive frame from TJ. I also found the jars {seen on the left} with the cutout pattern. I have always loved these style jars and know they will work in my home for years to come. It was time to update the mantel with a fun summer look to enjoy the last half of the season.


Saturday night we fried up some goodness in the form of Grouper Bites. The husband {recovered from his heat stroke} fried these with a simple seafood breading. Ah-maze-ing.


A good part of Sunday afternoon was spent reorganizing our kitchen cabinets. We don't have a luxurious pantry or anything close so all of our food gets crammed in our cabinets, not to complain. After a while, things just get SO messy. My Mom had just purged the beach house pantry and had a few extra organizers that I took home.

Here is example one: 


And after adding a double decker carousel....


Not even sure how I functioned in that cabinet up until this point. I also organized our "baking" cabinet, and under our bar but I will spare you those photos because they aren't all that interesting.

Did I mention that throughout the day I made a homemade Spaghetti sauce? One of my favorite things to make although I don't do it too often. It makes a ton= enough for dinner and multiple frozen leftover containers.

My parents joined us for dinner, their last night on island time before heading back to Raleigh. I had to infuse some livelihood into the house, so I had some fun arranging Spider Mums. 


So tell me, what are you doing to keep cool these days? 

xoxo.

11 comments:

Amanda English said...

I love your DIY watercolor! That is a great idea for our MBR! xoxo A-

Mrs. Type A said...

Ugh it has been FAR too hot! I spent most of my weekend inside doing chores and starting to pack for our move at the end of the month.

Clara Turbay said...

its great!

Dana Frieling said...

The heat is definitely ridiculous. My poor dog had the beginnings of a heatstroke last week. Had to rush him to the vet! Love what you're doing around the house. I always look forward to seeing your art, Katie!

~Katie said...

I stayed in and re-organized my kitchen Saturday too! And then had to give my husband a "tour" and tell him where things go now. Lol. It's too hot to do anything else but be inside!

erica said...

Loving the DIY watercolor print. What a great idea. Maybe i`ll get lucky at TJ Maxx and find some cheapo watercolors as well. xo

Sarah said...

Love what you got done over the weekend. It's been ridiculously hot up here too!! I stayed inside for most of the weekend cause I felt like my face would melt off if I just stepped outside!! So gross.

pam {simple details} said...

We had a much needed cool, rainy weekend, ahhh! Love your fresh beachy mantle and art!

Amanda said...

I definitely need some cabinet and drawer organizers (ours our quite a mess). I love those spider mums though!

Allyson McGuire said...

Our heatwave finally backed down today after some much needed rain!

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

yikes, 100+ degrees is way too hot for this boston gal. thank goodness its only been in the mid 90s ;) love how productive you were inside tho!! hope you're staying COOL!

xo!