Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Recipe: Ramen Noodle Slaw

This is a tried and true favorite in our household. I had it several years ago with my great, fave college buddy couple, Ashley and Nick, for a Memorial Day dinner we had together. I've been hooked and making it ever since and even my extended family has asked me for the recipe. It's one of those recipes that I have never written down and I end up texting Ashley last minute begging for the exact measurements! So I am thrilled that I can now search my own blog {haha!!} and stop pestering her for the recipe {even though shes so sweet I bet she didn't mind ;) }


RAMEN NOODLE SLAW

Ingredients:
-Bag of Cabbage Mix
-2 oz of slivered almonds
-Oriental Ramen Noodle Package
-1/3 cup oil
-1 heaping tbsp sugar
-2 tbsp of red wine vinegar {I add this, but the original recipe does not include it}
-Onion Powder {or spring onions}
-Black Pepper

Directions:
Heat oven to 325. Crunch the pack of Ramen noodles and toast with almonds in the oven {just watch until they are toasted! Usually takes my oven about 5-10 minutes} Take the seasoning packet from the noodles and mix it with oil, sugar, vinegar, onion powder {a few shakes depending on your taste} and black pepper and stir. Place your cabbage in a bowl, add the almond/noodle mixture, and toss with dressing. I usually wait about 10 minutes before serving.

______

I have never, ever been a fan of mayo based coleslaw and dare say I ever will be. This is completely different, light and so delicious! We have it a lot of times in the summer when we cook out on the grill, perfect to go with burgers, hot dogs, chicken, seafood... you name it! Stephen grilled hot dogs the other day when we had a little rise in the temperatures...such a teaser for Spring! It is a great alternative when you aren't feeling a salad but you can still get your green fix. And did I mention...SUPER easy.

Thanks Ashley and Nick for letting me share this!! xo.

Enjoy and let me know if you try it!


7 comments:

BLovedBoston said...

This sounds so good!! I haven't eaten ramen in years but you made it sound incredible! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

A Simple Southern Life said...

This sounds delicious! I was just talking to a friend this weekend about using ramen noodles in slaw. I'm going to have to try this!

Chelsea said...

Looks so yummy!! I can't wait to try it :)

Stephanie Chalk said...

I always love when you make this salad, it is so delicious! Thanks for sharing! Xo, Stephanie

Ashley Carole (Sweet Carolina Belle) said...

I love this slaw. It is one of my favorites to bring to family dinners.

megan said...

My mom makes a recipe very similar to this (she hates mayo) and I LOVE it!

pam {simple details} said...

Thanks for the great idea Katie, we hadn't had it forever so I made it for dinner tonight! :) (We add shredded chicken to ours when I serve it as the entree.)