Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thanksgiving: Plans, Recipes and Inspiration

This year our Thanksgiving is going to look a little different. Since we have been married, Stephen and I have been able to swing dual Thanksgivings with our families. Even though are families are based in different cities, his extended family actually lives in pretty close proximity to mine. This has allowed us to do Thanksgiving lunch with his large extended family, and then we head to my parents house for the later afternoon and a Thanksgiving dinner. We just figure that if we can split it, why not? I love being able to celebrate with both even if we cut back a teensy bit on the amount of time with each group.

So, this year my older sister is on baby watch and my parents are heading up to Philly this week to be with them as they anticipate the arrival of my nephew Jack! An exciting time for sure, but of course this means my family will be splitting up. Yes, I have to admit I am a little sad as it is the very first Thanksgiving that I will not be at "home" with my family for dinner. We do have a full schedule however to keep us busy that day! We will continue our tradition for lunch with Stephen's fam at the farm, and then we will head down the road to have dinner at my brother & sister in laws new house house with her family. 


Stephen and I have never hosted Thanksgiving but I really think it would be so much fun {and a lot of "fun" work!} I would definitely spend way too much time creating a tablescape, but how fun would that be? Mine would include my fave- magnolia leaves right from our yard. I love the simplicity and the elegance. 




I want to be sure I am doing my part and I will be bringing a dish to each get together. So far, these are my top contenders:

My Mom made these last year and they were a huge hit. A big indulgence for sure once I saw the ingredients but, they tasted that good for a reason!



Guess I'll be bringing the calories, right! I saw this on Natalies blog yesterday and it seems like such a tasty twist on dessert. I usually don't spring for Pumpkin Pie. 


My other favorites will be something from my Mom's recipe stash and I want to incorporate that somehow too! Do you have a favorite dish you bring to dinner year after year?


4 comments:

P!nky said...

Love your festive pins, lady!

Sarah said...

My two must bring dishes are Giada's butternut squash soup with fontina crostinis and Ina's homemade gravy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-soup-with-fontina-cheese-crostini-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-gravy-recipe.html

Owen Davis @ Davis Duo said...

I have a nephew named Jack too :) Those magnolia leaves are to die for… a Southern girl's dream!

Unknown said...


Good luck with the cranberry salad! My grandma always made it for Thanksgiving, and again at Christmas, and I never felt like it was Thanksgiving without it!