Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Flocked Trees + DIY No Sew Tree Skirt!


One thing I get asked year after year about is our flocked Christmas tree. Unfortunately, I am never able to give an exact source because I got it years and years ago from a wholesale florist supplier and I cannot even recall the name! But, I have kept an eye out while I've been out shopping, for other flocked trees that are lookalikes to mine. I rounded up a few below from the web that I think are all good options. Disclaimer: these are not cheap trees but if they are like mine you will be using them for multiple years, getting your money's worth! I don't think they are that bad of a deal when you consider size, quality and usage!

flocked trees

Side note, this past year we had to add some lights to our tree because we had some go out. After using for about 5 years, I was expecting as much. I don't mind the additional strands of lights added to it and we might consider replacing it in the future. I am hooked on flocked trees though, there is something magical about them!

Next up, my new DIY Buffalo Check Tree Skirt! I know everyone is busy pulling their meals together for Thursday, but this would be a fun, quick project to do on an afternoon this coming weekend. I put this together yesterday afternoon and it couldn't have been easier. I remember seeing an easy tree skirt tutorial last year on Courtney's blog and was inspired by the easy design. Mine is more or less the same but I will highlight below what I did. Hers has more detailed instructions if you need that too. PS. It's NO SEW :)

You need: 
2 yards of fabric{I used fleece and it doesn't unravel! Also had extra}
Scissors
Ribbon for measuring
Chalk
Tinsel or other decorative trim
Glue gun

Fold your fabric in half. I wanted my tree skirt to be 48 inches wide, and so I cut a piece of ribbon 24 inches. When the fabric unfolds it will double in size, making it 48. Use this ribbon strip to rotate around in a semi circle from your center point. I used a piece of chalk to mark the 24 inches all the way around.



Cut along chalk line.


Next, fold your fabric in half again so its in the shape of a pie piece. Cut another small semi circle out for your tree base. I just eye balled it. You want it to fit around the base of your tree.


Now unfold that again so you are here:


I then cut along the line of the check {on just one side} to make a slit for the back of the skirt, allowing it to go around the base of your tree.


Next, add your tinsel! I bought this on sale last year and had been waiting to do something fun with it. You could also use pom poms, bells, ribbon, etc. The options are endless!


That's it! So easy and so adorable.





I'll be cooking up a storm tomorrow and heading to Raleigh to prepare for Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a wonderful day on Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

East Coast Chic {Natalie} said...

I really want a flocked tree for our living room but I can't quite get my husband on board! I keep telling him it will be our extra tree not our main tree so he doesn't have to lose his real Christmas tree. Love the DIY skirt too, might need to steal that idea.

Elise @ Her Heart and Home said...

I am obsessed!!!!! Cutest tree skirt. EVER. Nailed it, mama! xx

nelle monaco said...

we moved into our newly built home on december 19 last year and walked in with a box of wine, the jambox {for some christmas tunes}, and a flocked real tree - we are thinking about making it a tradition and always getting one now. we loved it. yours is beautiful!!

Hope @ Hope in a Blog said...

Drooling over that skirt!

Zelle B. said...

This is too cute! My tree has a tiny bit of flocking which I love but yours is gorgeous! And love the skirt!

Zelle
Southern Style

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That is such a cute tree skirt, Katie. I never thought to make my own! Thanks for the easy tutorial!