Friday, March 27, 2015

Five Favorite Breakfasts!

Happy Friday everyone! Today I thought I would share what has been happening in our kitchen lately for breakfast. I have basically banned my easy routine of grabbing a breakfast bar and I'm leaning towards things that are freshly prepared. Go figure...as if I need to add something else into my morning routine! But, I have to say, I really enjoy a healthy breakfast. I think its the easiest meal of the day to eat healthy. Here is what I have been making lately, all on rotation according to what is in the fridge. 

ONE:
Scrambled Egg Tortilla 




Beat two egg whites {or use liquid egg whites} with a fork, pour in a non-stick pan that is already warm over med-low heat. Once they begin to set, I sprinkle with mexican shredded cheese. Scramble with a spatula until they are fluffy. Cut one high fiber/low carb tortilla in half and add to skillet. Move the eggs into the tortilla shell. Lightly toast on both sides. Enjoy!

TWO:
Omelet Style Egg White Tortilla 


This is essentially the same thing as the Scrambled Egg Tortilla, except I let the eggs set and then fold over in half, and over again like an omelet. Place inside one half of a high fiber/low carb tortilla, add american cheese slice and toast on both sides in skillet until cheese is melted. So, so good. Enjoy!

THREE:
Avocado Toast



Such a delicious, healthy breakfast that I have mentioned before. Mash ripe avocado and spread on piece of toast {I love sourdough!} Sprinkle with pepper {salt is optional} and enjoy! 

FOUR:
Sunrise Smoothie



Another breakfast I have enjoyed and mentioned last week. I can't get enough of it y'all. It is so refreshing. The full post is here, but this is the rundown:

SUNRISE SMOOTHIE
1/2 ripe banana
1 heaping tbsp honey vanilla greek yogurt
1/2 cup frozen pineapple pieces
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup water
6 small ice cubes (or 3-4 regular size cubes)

Place in blender or smoothie maker...blend. You can add ice, water or oj according to taste. Enjoy!

FIVE:
French Toast from Leftovers

I have been making this French Toast for Weeks and finally tried more than a bite this past weekend. Oh my gosh- seriously, amazing. Don't be scared that the bread comes from hot dog and hamburger buns- I will probably buy them from now on just to make French Toast! That good.


FRENCH TOAST {slightly adapted}

-3 Eggs
-Leftover Hamburger or Hotdog Buns {I've used both, I used slider buns in the pictures below}
-1/4 cup milk
-1 tsp cinnamon sugar

Beat together eggs, milk and cinnamon sugar with a fork until well blended. Dip each side of bun in mixture. Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.  Place buns in skillet and cook each side a few minutes. Serve warm with powdered sugar and syrup!







The best part about this recipe is that it freezes wonderfully!! 
I usually make as much as my mixture will allow/as many buns that we have leftover. I place them on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper and pop in the freezer for about 30 minutes until they are no longer "sticky". Then I wrap two or three at a time in the paper and put in a freezer bag. 


To reheat, we put in the toaster on a low setting a few times and then microwave a few seconds to make sure they are hot! Perfect for a little toddler meal! 


What are your favorite breakfasts?

Linking up with the ladies of Five on Friday!


Enjoy your weekend!!

5 comments:

Caroline {Virginia Sweet} said...

These ideas are great! I am loving the leftover french toast! genius!!

Ashley Carole (Sweet Carolina Belle) said...

I love the idea of avocado toast but have never tried it! I also love the idea of freezing french toast- never thought of that!

Melissa said...

These look great!! Lately I've been doing something similar to your #1, but I add avocado :). Yum! Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.

April of Smidge Of This said...

Hamburger buns, who woulda thought?! I am intrugued because they look so YUMMY and thick!

Adoring Family said...

I love finding new uses for leftovers! I am obsessed with that plate :D