Monday, October 15, 2012

A Healthy Start

Breakfast since I found out I was pregnant involves greek yogurt - at least Monday through Friday. I can no longer squeak by with a granola bar, but this yogurt is delicious and gives me protein to start the day. {My doctor emphasized protein for a preggo diet and I try to get it in at every meal}. We usually buy the Lowes or Harris Teeter non-fat brands because they taste good and have somewhere between 13-16 grams of protein per serving, but we also have a made a few of our own parfaits which are really yummy. 

Snapped before leaving for work...

Vanilla Greek Yogurt, drizzled with honey and topped with a blueberry granola. This was amazing. I also eat a Nature Valley protein bar shortly after I finish my yogurt. I am just way too hungry in the morning to skimp on breakfast, but this is healthy and keeps me full until lunch.

And for my favorite dinner as of late, Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili. Loving that crockpot. Like many of Gina's recipes from Skinny Taste, this one is amazing. I pinned it a while ago and since the temps have finally dropped off a bit, I was ready for chili.


Ingredients: 

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: 
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers (optional), corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro (optional). Top it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

I omitted the cilantro and chili peppers, and added a few fritos. I know it sounds crazy but I hate to have to buy a fresh package of cilantro when I will only use it once. This is by far one of my favorite meals I have made lately, and I had enough to freeze a few containers for leftovers. That means a healthy dinner is on its way this week with no work at all. Yay!

What is your favorite recipe you have tried lately?
Happy Monday lovelies!
xoxo.

8 comments:

eas said...

Your breakfast looks yummy and I'm dying to try that chili. Hope it gets cold this week so I have an excuse.

Anonymous said...

Loving my crockpot too! I'm making chicken with apples in it today.

Cotton said...

That chili looks FAB-YOU-LUSSSSS!nom nom!

Courtney said...

Yay for this recipe! Looks delicious, if not for the crock pot I have a feeling my poor family would go hungry!

Morgan Neal said...

Try the freeze dried cilantro in the fridge section at target. It's in a little bottle and lasts for 6-8 month. It's already pre minced and tastes like fresh. So worth finding. I'm a chef and don't use anything but that now!!

Laura said...

This all looks yummy! xo

Hannah said...

This is the second crockpot chicken chili that I have seen today and I pinned one on Pinterest yesterday. All of the ingredients are on my grocery list for the day. :)

Fallow said...

Just in case you leave for work with this in your crockpot come home to realize you forgot to plug in that crockpot.... you can make it on the fly by using all the same ingredients and a rotisserie chicken shredded! Cooks in no time and is just as fabulous!!