Thursday, October 16, 2014

One Room Challenge: Week 3

Welcome back and I'm so glad that you are checking in on my little One Room Challenge! This week I feel like we accomplished so much, but we will see what you think.

First things first, I decided to go ahead and get a slipcover made in a white denim for the loveseat. I really wanted something I can easily maintain and this was the only way to accomplish that. The fabric will be pre shrunk so it will be machine washable...that is SO nice to not have a totally ruined piece of furniture if you have an unfortunate mishap. I found a sweet, sweet lady to do the slipcover and she came and measured yesterday. I can't wait to see it done! Below I have it draped with a white sheet just so I could see how it looked. 


I also draped the wingbacks with two different grey throws I have, because I have decided on a grey twill for them. That fabric hasn't arrived yet... and I also have to lock in someone to get the job done in just a few weeks. Fingers crossed that works! 


I worked on the small bookcase next to the TV and I am loving it. I can see it from the kitchen and I love all the personality and color with out being too overwhelming. 



We have quite a collection of blue vintage jars and I love this showcase of them! It also give the bookcase a nice break from little objects and books, making a statement.

 

I enlisted Stephen's help to fancy up the bookcase just a tad bit, and add furniture feet. I was really bothered because the shelf seemed so low, which it was. Even though its no fancy shelf, it still does wonders that it's a little taller for the eye. I'll share the process in that soon! Pretty easy. I still have to touch up the feet a little bit but we are on our way.




And circling back to my favorite part, I am loving seeing some pops of color in the form of fabric! I had bought the chiang mai sample a while back, and the blue and white as well. I picked up the plaid on a whim this week and I am amazed how much I love it together! 



And what we spent a good deal of time working on, the stairs! Here are some befores...



We are still in the process, but we demo'ed the railing, patched and started on the risers.


It may not seem like a big difference but I swear it is. Next up is sanding the treads and staining, which I started trying out below.


I used this Valspar paint and I have absolutely loved it! 


Thats all for me this week. I feel better about the direction we are headed in with some major decisions tackled, but there is still so much more to do! 

Make sure to check out all the lovely designers and everyone else linking up to the One Room Challenge. Thanks again for reading y'all.

9 comments:

Laura Wyatt said...

It's looking great! You have a serious talent for shelf-styling!!

I haven't been blogging lately, but I'm still reading :) I hope you and your sweet family are doing well! xoxo

Delta Daisies said...

I looooove everything! It's looking great!

Elise @ Her Heart and Home said...

LOVE! Seriously. And your shelf styling is DIVINE! xx

Unknown said...

How fun! I'm loving everything you are doing in here!!

Unknown said...

Your shelf styling is so pretty and you can for sure a huge difference in the stairs- they're look fabulous! And I love me some chaing- mai...always a winner!

Carrie said...

Great shelf styling! I love the red gingham with the Chiang Mai! :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

I love the feel of this room. I feel like I would immediately gravitate toward this room and cozy myself into one of those wing backs. The shelf styling looks great with the blues weaved throughout. Stairs are a huge difference. Fabrics are aces too!! Can't wait for the finished product!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I loved the yellow couch, but your decision makes sense and will definitely make this a cozy room your family will gravitate towards. I also am really LOVING all the bookshelf styling!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I am loving all the blue jars you have, Katie! Stunning. Looks great so far and I can't wait to see it all come together :)