Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Recipe: Panera Copycat Tomato Soup + Homemade Croutons

Usually I don't do two food posts in a row but this one was a definite keeper from last night! I love a good tomato soup with grilled cheese in the winter- it is one of my absolute favorites. This is a breeze to put together, making it even better! 



1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 14 oz can chicken broth {or 2 cups}
2 Tbsp sugar
⅓ cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
15-20 Basil leaves, chopped


1. Combine the tomatoes, broth, and garlic bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the sugar and butter and mix until they are dissolved, melted and well combined.
3. Very slowly pour in the heavy cream while simultaneously stirring until all the cream is combined and the soup is creamy. Make sure you pour slow and mix each time!
4. Stir in the basil.
5. Serve hot with grated parmesan cheese and homemade croutons {recipe below}.

My special touch is that I add homemade "croutons" to the top of our tomato soup. For these, all I do is take whatever bread we have on hand {preferably fresh made bread from the bakery, not your typical white sandwich bread} and chop it up into crouton size pieces. I sprayed them lightly with Pam, threw them in the pan next to the grilled cheese with a tad bit of butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Just get them lightly toasted on all sides and they are delicious! Last night I used ciabatta bread and they were fantastic!

As you can see I made three different types of grilled cheese last night, for three different tastes. I sprung for ciabatta, Stephen with the white wheat sandwich bread, and my Dad joined us as well with sourdough. I used a combo of sharp cheddar and baby swiss and they were sooo good.



Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Rachael Alexis said...

Holy wow, this looks delicious. It was 65 degrees in Cleveland today, but I will be saving this for a cozy day soon.

Tess said...

Okkkkkk I need to make this straightaway!!!