Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chicken Stew for the Soul

Last night my sweet husband made us this stew for dinner. Soup/stew just sounded good because we both have some sort of cold after the weekend. I'm sure it has nothing to do with tailgating at 9 am at Carter Finley Stadium on Saturday (GO PACK!) 

Anyway, this recipe comes from my girl Christy Jordan and her cookbook Southern Plate. Christy says,
 "Please make this chicken stew. Its that good. Its so good that it actually bothers me to think that some of you might only look at the photos, read the tutorial, and never make it. Its so good that if I could, I would seriously arrange a time and place for all of us to meet up under a tent somewhere in the middle of the country just to serve you this chicken stew."

SOLD. 






Ingredients:

1 chicken
2 lg onions, chopped
7 cups water
4 cups canned tomatoes
6 med.potatoes, peeled and diced
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups frozen or canned whole kernel corn
2 Tablespoon butter
5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

Directions:

-Cook chicken until done in water. Remove chicken from broth and discard skin. Separate meat from bones and shred meat.
-Dip off as much fat from the broth as possible.
-Simmer potatoes in 1 cup of broth in covered saucepan until done, do not drain. Mash potatoes slightly, keeping them lumpy.
-Add corn, onions, tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper to broth.
-Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
-Add potatoes and chicken and simmer slowly with lid off for at least 45 minutes.
-Right before serving, stir in butter and let it melt. Best if made a day ahead and reheated to serve.

(Y'all did expect butter to be in the stew right? We are in the South! haha)

Christy says to make a day ahead but we had ours the night of, and will be having those leftovers for lunch today. She also says it freezes well, which is great because Stephen and I are not good about eating leftovers for days at a time. I already packed up two containers of the soup for the freezer to have on another cold night. I also made some Crescent Rolls (round kind, love those) to serve with the stew, but I think mini saltines would have been great too. 

Everything I have made by Christy has been SO delicious and she somehow understands we don't want to spend a fortune at the grocery store and spend all night cooking. She makes it simple. Her dishes are southern and they remind me of something you would expect your mom to whip up. If you do not have her cookbook, I highly recommend it!!

Have a great Tuesday! xoxo

1 comment:

Val said...

Looks so amazing.