Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Three New Favorites

A few random food items we have loved lately:

An exquisite fruit salad.

Yes, I just used the word exquisite- it just seemed like the right way to describe it! Just made this one last night and it was every bit as delicious as I hoped it would be. The secret ingredient here is a packet of vanilla pudding mix. I haven't made fruit salad before, so this was brand new to me. So good, it would be perfect to bring to an Easter brunch! This is the recipe, I skipped blueberries {they didn't look fresh} and pineapples this time.



The perfect asparagus.

I love some asparagus- such a welcome alternative to a salad, which I tend to get tired of eating and fixing, quite frankly. This was the best way I have ever prepared it, hands down. It will likely be the only way we have it from now on! I skipped the lemon zest because I didn't have any. I also served this with Natasha's Poppyseed Chicken I mentioned I was going to make: it was di-vine, you must try it.



A Healthy Dip.

This past weekend we whipped up a delicious dip, Carolina Caviar, to snack on. When we spend long days out on the boat, it's inevitable that someone has brought along a dip similar to this. We adapted our own recipe with ingredients we thought had been in the caviar dips we've enjoyed the most. We loved the way this combination turned out and will be making it again for sure.


CAROLINA CAVIAR

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can white corn, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup feta cheese
1 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
parsley to taste

Mix ingredients and serve cold. Serve with tortilla chips.

*Next time we are going to try adding tomatoes, but honestly it was so good I don't know if we should even mess with a good thing! 

It makes a lot and the leftovers are wonderful- and healthy to boot! 

Enjoy and let me know if you try any of these :)
xo.

11 comments:

Kiki said...

This looks so yummy!! Thanks for the recipe! Made me hungry! i guess its time to get up and make something to eat! Have a great day!!
XO

Nat said...

That fruit salad looks delicious! I always bake my asparagus- its the only way to cook it in my book!

pam {simple details} said...

Oooh, that fruit salad would be kid friendly favorite, for sure! I get tired of making salad, too!

Unknown said...

yum!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

Another good trick for fruit salad is to mix it with a little bit of yogurt!

And yum...asparagus is my favorite vegetable! We love cooking it on the grill!

In the Pink said...

Everything looks so good! Adding vanilla pudding to fruit salad is such a good idea...I can't get enough of fruit lately!

Casey said...

That dip looks so so yummy!!!

Casey said...

That dip looks so so yummy!!!

Unknown said...

That's what i've been missing on my asparagus... Parmesan! I'll have to try it out this week

Hannah said...

The asparagus looks amazing!

Suzanne said...

I love that Carolina Caviar. I've only heard it called Redneck Caviar before. You know, we keep it classy. ;)