Monday, February 6, 2012

14 Days of Things I Love: Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas are hands down, one of my favorite flowers. Right now we have about 10-12 in our yard {hoping that they all come back this year after the hot dry summer last year}. When we were planning our landscaping for our house, my thoughtful husband planned a hydrangea bed right outside our bedroom window. He also surprises me with them on occasions, where some might get a bouquet of flowers- I get the whole plant! ;)


One of the things I love most about this flower is the names. This variety is called "blushing bride" which really fits well. White with a touch of pink. My parents gifted me one of these in a pretty planter the day I got engaged.

{via}

{via}

{via}

For those of you that may not have hydrangeas of your own, you should consider these just for the simple fact that they make the most beautiful cut flowers. I bring mine inside all of the time for large, pretty centerpieces on our table or bar.

{via}

{via}

{via}

Since hydrangeas are near and dear to my heart, I knew they had to be a part of our wedding day. The bridesmaid's bouquets and centerpieces all had hydrangeas in shades of blue. I also chose a hydrangea cake topper that our cake maker made with gum paste so we could keep it. We still have it and it sits under a dome on a cake plate in our dining room! It is beautiful. 

{my personal photo, please do not use with out permission}

My mom also has the most gorgeous hydrangea garden with tons of varieties, but that is a post for another day when they start blooming! Do you have a favorite flower that you love? Hopefully this post brightened your morning just a little bit! Can't wait for these beauties to start blooming! 
Have a wonderful Monday. xo.

14 comments:

The Sister Studio said...

Wow, your cake was stunning!! Such beautiful flowers. :)

eas said...

Oh I love all of those pictures & hydrangeas. I love your wedding cake and think it's so special that you will have the topper forever!

pam {simple details} said...

Beautiful cake and photo, Katie! I couldn't agree more about hydrangeas, wish mine were blooming! :)

Amanda said...

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! I love all the hydrangeas on your cake. I also am learning that I don't know how to spell hydrangeas...

Anonymous said...

I love them too - this may sound bizarre but my bridesmaids had them in their hair! It looked great, honest!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I looove them too! We had two big bushes outside of our house in Winston. Im going to miss them this year! And your cake is gorgeous- youll have to do a post on the rest of the wedding one day :)

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

I am crushing totally on your cake and I love hydrangeas. Come on by my blog and let me know how you feel about the fashion trend of mullet hems.

Lisa x

alicia said...

this post makes me so happy! in love with hydrangeas. your wedding cake was gorgeous!

henning love said...

i love this idea 14 days of things i love. and hydrangeas are gorgeous! i love your wedding cake super gorgeous katie!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Hydrangeas are some of my favorite flowers! I want a garden of them someday so I can have them around all the time. I have been looking for some good fake ones to have around my house. Loving your blog.

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

such pretty flowers! I too adore hydrangeas! Great images, Katie! :)

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Jackie said...

This post makes me happy just to look at! I love hydrangeas, they are so gorgeous-especially the blue variety. You're so lucky to have a whole bunch to look at every day!

erica said...

I love hydrangeas. They are one of my favorite flowers - aside from peonies. These are some gorgeous pictures. xo

Gronny Waston said...

Hey, all these are just heart throbbing flower photos. Thanks a lot for sharing photos. I want to Send Flowers to a friend on her birthday and was seeking ideas for most beautiful flowers. Now I think that Hydrangeas and rose bouquet would be best.